Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

“Real Time Blog; Real Time WTF?!”

Miss-Adventures: A Hapless Helpless Hopeless Dater



Dearest Readers, what do you do when one blog story meets another potential blog story by chance?  If you’re Miss-Adventures, you write about it, of course!  I know I’ve said this a million times in a million different ways, but online dating is so fucking strange.

A couple of months ago, I met a lovely lady from my favorite dating website.  She’s kind, classy, interesting, fun and we happen to live in the same neighborhood.  We had a coffee date which was pleasant and easy and really mostly uneventful.  I mean, she’s lovely, I’m lovely, the coffee was lovely and we became friends.  We still occasionally hang out, we get together and do fun things or have dinner in our neighborhood.  What else can one say about that?  It’s all so perfectly normal (go figure!), so I never really intended to write about her.  That is, until last Sunday night while dining in the ‘hood …

Friend: “I went out with a foreigner recently.”
Me: “Oh really?  Where were they from?”
Friend: “No, I went out with The Foreigner … from your blog.”
Me: “WHAT?!  Are you kidding?  How did that happen?  Wait.  How did you figure it out?  I don’t use anyone’s names!”

Evidently, they had had their own online date and got to talking about and sharing their own experiences with online dating.  (How can you not, really?  It is so strange and surreal – you have the oddest encounters with people online!)  And The Foreigner mentioned that she had gone out with a girl a few times who started writing a blog about her own weird online dating experiences.  Well, I guess there are only SO many of us bloggers out there writing about this very same subject and my friend asked, “Is her name, [insert Miss-Adventures' non-superhero name here]?

Okay, first of all, can I just say that it pleases me to no end that former dates and friends are following the blog?  Much, MUCH love and appreciation to you both for being regular readers!  And second, aww shucks that you guys are out there spreading the word about my little passion project!  I’m flattered beyond all words, written or otherwise.

But more to the point … WHAT IN GAY HELL?!  How in the name of the sweet baby jesus did this happen?  For someone who has gone Out. Of. Her. Way. to avoid dating within her own social circle (until very, very recently ... but more on that tidbit another time), this was NEVER supposed to happen!  I guess there’s no getting around it: the queer dating scene is a small, weird, incestuous pool that we’re all wading in.

So now I’m scared shitless to go on another online date!  I mean, I’ve been on A LOT of dates with a lot of different people.  I really hope this doesn’t happen too often.  I don’t know if I can handle it!

Admittedly, I sent an email to “Helen of Troy” (who recently ended our very brief romance) this weekend telling her of the same story.  My greatest fear would be if she began dating The One Who Got Ran Away.  Then my eternal destruction would be complete and my whole fucking world would come crashing down around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment