Total Pageviews

Friday, November 9, 2012

Playlists are the New "Mixed Tapes"


I don’t know about you but I find that no matter how heartbroken I feel, no matter how alone I feel in this break-up bleakness and no matter how much I want to be able to express those feelings to the world (I'm an emotional purger, in case you couldn't already guess), someone has already said it better.  To be more succinct: they sang it better than I could ever hope to write.  So when I'm feeling blue (which, lately, is a constant state), I turn to music as a source of solace, comfort and identification.  
Sometimes love songs punch you right in your core (thank you, Ryan Adams and Heather Combs).  Sometimes those songs make you feel wistful or melancholy (thank you, Diana Krall).  Sometimes those songs make you want to slit your goddamned wrists (thankyouverymuch, Adele).  But these artists have made me feel.  They've helped me through.  And they've said, so brilliantly, exactly what my heart screams out.
For anyone out there going through break-up loneliness, break-up madness, break-up anger and break-up torture, here are just a few songs to get you started.  (Yes, I actually created my own iPhone playlist.)
Armchairs, Andrew Bird
At This Moment, Billy Vera
Bones, Natalia Zukerman
A Case of You, Diana Krall
Do I Ever Cross Your Mind, Ray Charles
Don't You Remember, Adele
Dreaming With a Broken Heart, John Mayer
Gravity, Sara Bareilles
Fly, Heather Combs
I Never Told You, Colbie Caillat
Maybe You'll Be There, Diana Krall
The Mess That We Made, Heather Combs
Come Pick Me Up, Ryan Adams
(MY FAVORITE and posted below for your listening pleasure)
Mind Eraser, The Black Keys
The Moon and the Sky, Sade
Sideways, Sheryl Crow
Something More Like You, Heather Combs
Take It All, Adele
The Thrill is Gone, BB King
Walk On By, Diana Krall
Why Do They Leave, Ryan Adams
With or Without You, U2
How Can You Mend a Broken Heart, Al Green
Need You Now, Lady Antebellum
Lonely Avenue, Ray Charles
The Winter, Cake
Someone Like You, Adele
Morning Bird, Sade
Here Lies Love, Diana Krall
If anyone has any song suggestions that helped you get through or songs that you identified with, leave your comments below!  I love getting feedback from friends and readers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment