Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

History and Victory


On this historic day, I can't help but dance on the graves of DOMA and California Prop 8, and celebrate the beginning of my status as a (born and bred) U.S. citizen, finally afforded all the marital rights and benefits under equal protection of the law.  After decades of activism, fight for survival, protests, marches, overcoming hate and prejudice, speeches and perseverance, the message that we are "less than," "not worthy of" or "incapable" has been silenced by SCOTUS. 
I'd like to pause for a moment and thank, from the bottom of my heart, Justices Kennedy, Bader Ginsburg, Breyer, Sotomayor and Kagan for doing the right thing, for reaffirming the 5th Amendment under the Constitution of the United States of America and for speaking and standing up for my community, a minority group who needs and relies upon its straight allies and the long arm of the law to help in the fight for equal rights.  I would also like to thank from the bottom-of-the-bottom of my heart the plaintiffs and attorneys who brought these historic cases to the courts, fighting and clawing their way from court to court on behalf of our community and our civil rights.  There's a special place in heaven (if it actually exists) for people like you fighting the good fight for couples and families of all shapes.  You've made this world a better place.  You've made MY world a better place.  And I pledge to you my undying gratitude.
It's not every day that one can wake up to a new and improved country.  And it's not every day when those improvements directly impact the trajectory of your life.  For the first time in my adult life, I am legally allowed to marry whomever I so choose.  This is a brilliant day, and one for the history books.  One that I have had the privilege to witness first hand and can recount to future generations, only to hear them say, "Are you fucking kidding me? What do you mean you couldn't get married?!"  I am in awe.  I am humbled.  I am truly moved.
One last defiant parting word before I depart and break into tears of joy and a celebratory solo dance party:
Dear Justice Salia: 
I read your words of dissent. I am disgusted. As a human being, you can do better. 
Fuck the "diseased root" that has infested your soul.  
Sincerely,
Miss-Adventures, a Hopeless (BUT EQUAL) Dater


No comments:

Post a Comment